How to download materials
Downloading eBooks to an iPad, Kindle Fire, smartphone or other tablet computer
1. Go to the app store for your device.
2. Search for OverDrive Digital Media, and download the free app.
3. Open OverDrive. The first time you open it, there will be a message directing you to register with Adobe Digital Editions. Click on the link and follow the directions to register. Make a note of the ID and password you create.
4. Open OverDrive again. Click on “Get Books”. Click “Add Library” to select your library. Search for the library by name (Whitewright Public Library) or ZIP Code (75491). Tap the star to add to your favorites. We are part of the Northeast Texas Digital Consortium.
(1 – 4 only have to be done during the initial setup).
5. Click on the library name. This takes you to the library OverDrive page. You can tell the format of the item and whether or not it’s in by looking at the icon in the upper right corner of the cover image. A book image is an eBook, headphones indicate an audio. If it’s black, it’s in, if it’s gray, it’s checked out, but you can still place a reserve. There is also a “ribbon” hanging from each cover; click it and the item is placed on your Wish List (i.e. not reserved, but one you’re interested in for later).
6. Choose a title and click “Add to My Cart.” Click on “Proceed to Checkout” once you have selected your title(s).
7. When prompted, choose your library and enter your library card number and PIN (phone number).
8. Click “Confirm check out” and then click “Download”.
9. When download is complete, it will display on the bookshelf. Click to open.
10. Please note you can also download audiobooks through OverDrive just as you do eBooks. The Overdrive Media Console serves as your audiobook player.
11. If you would like to return your eBook before its due date, tap the + symbol to the right of the title and a popup box will ask if you want to “Return/Delete”. Tap this, then choose “Return then Delete”. If you select “Delete Only” it is removed from your device, but not returned to the library until the due date.
Downloading eBooks to an e-ink Kindle (or Kindle Fire if Kindle format is available)
1. Make sure your Kindle has been registered and you have an Amazon account.
2. If your Kindle has Wi-Fi, make sure the Wi-Fi is turned on, and the appropriate network is selected. (“Library” if you are in the library, or your home network if you are at home.) 3G connections do not work with OverDrive titles.
3. Go to the digital library at http://netldc.lib.overdrive.com
4. You can tell the format of the item and whether or not it’s in by looking at the icon in the upper right corner of the cover image. A book image is an eBook, headphones indicate an audio. If it’s black, it’s in, if it’s gray, it’s checked out, but you can still place a reserve. There is also a “ribbon” hanging from each cover; click it and the item is placed on your Wish List (i.e. not reserved, but one you’re interested in for later). Click the title you’re interested in, then click “Borrow”.
5. When prompted, type the library name (Whitewright Public Library) and enter your library card number and PIN number (phone number).
6. Click on the “Download” button and select the Kindle checkbox, then “Confirm & Download”. This will redirect you to the Amazon website (you must sign in with your Amazon user name and password.
7. Click on “Get Library Book.” Your Kindle device should be listed after “Deliver to.” If you have more than one Kindle device, choose the one you want to use for the title you are downloading. The title should appear next time you connect to Wi-Fi, appearing like any book you purchase from Amazon.
8. Certain Kindle books will require downloading by USB cable even if you have Wi-Fi. It will say “Use on Kindle devices via USB only” when reading the description.
9. If you do not have Wi-Fi available, or if you are checking out certain titles, you will need to transfer the book to your computer using a USB cable. At the Amazon site, select “Transfer via Computer” where it says “Deliver to.” Click “Continue.” At the prompt, choose which Kindle you are using and click “Continue.” Follow the instructions for transferring the book to your Kindle via USB cable.
10. If you would like to return your eBook before its due date, go to “Manage Your Kindle” on the Amazon web site. Sign in to Amazon when prompted. You will see a list of books you have checked out. On the far right is an “Actions” button. Click on this button and choose “return book.”
Downloading eBooks to a non-Kindle e-ink device
1. On your computer, go to the digital library at http://netldc.lib.OverDrive.com.
2. Choose a title and click “add to cart.” Adobe EPUB is the only format that works with a non-Kindle e-ink reader. On the next screen, click on “Proceed to Check Out.” When prompted, choose your library (Whitewright Public Library) and enter your library card number and PIN number (phone number). Click on “Confirm Check Out.”
3. The first time you check out a book to download to your computer, click on the link to download Adobe Digital Editions. This will take you to the Adobe Digital Editions website.
4. Scroll down the page and click on “Launch.” If the “Launch” button is not there, or you have trouble installing, click on “installation technician” for assistance.
5. Follow the instructions to install the software. This will take just a few minutes, after which there will be a “Setup Assistant” screen. Again, follow the instructions to authorize your computer and get an Adobe ID if you do not already have one. Make sure you write down your Adobe ID and password. Click on “Activate.” You will only have to do this the first time you download an eBook.
6. Connect your device to a USB port on your computer. Open Adobe Digital Editions if it is not already open. The name of your device should appear under “Media” on the left hand side under “Bookshelves.”
7. Click on “Authorize Device,” enter your Adobe ID and password when prompted. Click on “Finish.”
8. Go back to the OverDrive screen from step 4 and click on “Download,” and then on “Open.” This should open Adobe Digital Editions if it is not already open, and you will notice a “downloading” message. A picture of the book will appear on the screen. (If you are using a Mac computer, you may need to open the downloads folder by clicking on the icon on the upper right corner of the Sarafi screen. Double click on the book title to open it in Adobe Digital Editions.)
9. In Adobe Digital Editions, go to library view by clicking on the icon in the upper left corner of screen.
10. Drag and drop the picture of the eBook you downloaded to the device icon under “Media” to transfer the book to your device.
11. Remember to properly eject your device before you unplug it from the computer! Click on “Start,” then “Computer,” then right-click the icon for the device and choose “Eject.”
12. To return the book before it is due, click on the upper left corner of the book icon in Adobe Digital Editions. Click on “Return Borrowed Item” and confirm.